Independence Day is right around the corner, and that means four things: family, friends, food, and fireworks! Summertime is in full swing, and Fourth of July gatherings will most likely involve plenty of fun in the sun—and possibly baring it all in your bikini.
Below are some healthy tricks that’ll help you to look and feel your best, rocking your patriotic duds and have a “bomb” Fourth of July!
- For Glowing Skin - Stay Hydrated
- First thing in the morning, down a tall glass of H2O. Nothing is better to kickstart your body after 8 hours of sleep than a cleansing glass of water that will flush your system and prepare your body for your first meal. Try to drink around 32oz, (a large mason jar is a great way to track this). Add a squeeze of lemon for a burst of flavor and detoxifying benefits.
- For a Rockin’ Body - Move Your Body
- A combination of cardio and resistance training is the best way to get into shape quickly. No need to workout for longer than 45-50 minutes. Pick up 5lb hand weights or a resistance band and do some curls, tricep kickbacks, shoulder presses, lunges, pushups, squats, crunches, and planks. Do this for around 20-25 minutes. It’s summertime—so afterwards, enjoy the fresh morning air and go for a jog afterwards for 20-25 minutes. And don’t forget to do some stretching or yoga poses when you’re finished, to increase flexibility and to create longer, leaner muscles.
- To Beat Bloating - Eat Simple
- Whole fruits and veggies are the best foods to eat to reduce bloating and puffiness. For breakfast, try eating a simple meal of just watermelon. Melon is more than 90% water and is highly digestible, so your body doesn’t have to work extra hard. This translates to more energy. Eat as much as you care for, and listen to your body when you’re full.
- To Get Your Vitamins - Eat the Rainbow
- Kick the daily multivitamin and saturate your plate with color! For lunch, have a rainbow salad with your favorite veggies on top. Try chopped romaine and spinach, bell peppers, green onion, cherry tomatoes, sliced pineapple and/or mango, topped with avocado or guacamole. Each color signifies different vitamins and minerals contained in fruits and veggies—so the more color, the better! When you eat a well-rounded meal, you won’t have cravings for junk food.
- For Inner Confidence - Play Up Your Strengths
- Look in the mirror and tell yourself 3 things you love about you! Pick one word to embody, whether it be “fierce,” “strength,” “beauty,” or “power,” remember that word and be more of it! If you haven’t already planned a rockin’ outfit, now’s your time to shine! Whether you’re curvy or straight, wear an outfit that compliments your body type. Get creative with the way you sport your red, white, and blue!
- To Be Prepared - Plan Ahead
- Wherever you’re planning to see sparks fly come night time, make sure to plan ahead so that you don’t overindulge in unhealthy food and drink. One of the easiest tricks is to pre-eat—or even better, wow your friends and family by bringing a dish to share that’s both healthy and delicious! (See the fun and simple recipe below).
- To Relax and Enjoy - Be Present
- After all of your primping and planning, it’s time for the main event! Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and be present. Rather than focusing on all of the food and drink, shift your attention to visiting and having quality conversations with those you care about.
Let down your guard and just have fun! If there’s a swimming pool, don’t sit poolside with a towel wrapped around your waist. You’ve worked hard, strut your stuff. Don’t be afraid to jump in, literally! Let your hair down and don’t worry about your makeup. The more you allow yourself to be free, the more fun you’ll have! Get dirty and light some fireworks. Laugh and enjoy the moment. Remember what Independence Day is all about—America—the Land of the Free—and it feels oh-so-good!
Below is a super nutritious recipe that you can count on to feel your best and is sure to be a hit at any social gathering you go to!
“Bomb” Berry-Jicama Firework Salad
raw, vegan, gluten-free, the bomb!
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups jicama, diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- Blue corn tortilla chips and/or Romaine lettuce leaves for dipping or making lettuce boats.
- Chop all ingredients and place in large bowl.
- Top with lime juice and salt to taste.
- Enjoy by the spoonful, as a dip with chips, or create lettuce boats with Romaine!